High School Students and Teachers are invited to participate.
Scientists and Science writers are also invited.
*Special note to scientists - You do not need to be an authority on the any of the topics. We need science minded professionals. Your scientists friends are welcome as well!
If you do have a twitter account; search hashtag #scistuchat and make sure to include "#scistuchat" in all your tweets.
If you do not have a twitter account you can still follow the conversation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBOfm4ACeT0
- We will have a series of questions for students and scientists to answer. The format will be as follows.
- Questions will be posed-
- Q1 What is DNA?
- Student and scientist responses -
- A1 DNA is a blue print of the body.
- A1 DNA is made of nucleotides
- Students and scientists are encouraged to Retweet questions before they start writing their reply, this will help more people see the question.
- The questions will get deeper and will begin with Q1, Q2, Q3. Responses to questions should start with A1 A2 A3 depending on the question. Eventually the questions will lead us into our focus question
- If DNA can tell you when you are going to die, would you want to know.
- The focus question will start us on the path of ethics behind using DNA to decide whether or not to hire people or insure them.
- We need to encourage students to ask thoughtful questions and to address someone specific.
- Questions by students put out the whole group are less likely to be addressed. Thus resulting in frustrated students.
- We want to encourage students to talk to each other and the scientists
Media and Blog mentions about #scistuchat
- Science Friday (NPR) http://www.sciencefriday.com/blogs/06/26/2013/talking-science-on-twitter.html?series=17
- Nature.com http://www.nature.com/spoton/2013/04/social-media-for-science-outreach-a-case-study-scistuchat/?WT.mc_id=TWT_Scitable
- ASBMB.org http://www.asbmb.org/asbmbtoday/asbmbtoday_article.aspx?id=33155
- Promega Connections http://promega.wordpress.com/tag/scistuchat/
- Biology101.org http://www.biology101.org/archive/2012/10/high-school-students-host-discussion-scientist-twitter/
- Biodiversityinfocus.com http://www.biodiversityinfocus.com/blog/2012/10/10/entomology-in-the-digital-classroom-scistuchat/
- Sciencmuse.com http://sciencemuse.com/2012/05/04/twitter-scistuchat-creator-adam-taylor/